Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

Framing

I love to create art. I love to look at art. I also like to buy art. When I buy something, I usually prefer to buy it unframed. I like to do my own framing because:
1) I often don't like how someone else framed a piece
2) I like one mat and a simple frame
3) I think if I do it myself, it won't be as expensive.
4) I do have an old mat cutter that still works fine.

That said, however, it takes me a while to find the time to frame pieces. So this weekend, I have finally spent some time getting many pieces ready- cutting mats and assembling frames. Some pieces I have had for several years, some I have just purchased. I had some frames already. Some frames I ordered; some are on back order so you will only see a matted piece in the pictures. Most of them don't have glass yet.

In this picture, in the upper left corner is an art quilt I just purchased from Melody Johnson. Top right is a painting that my daughter, Anna, did last summer. I think it is great! Bottom left is a collage by M. Otero. Bottom right is a collage by Karen Stiehl Osborn.



In this picture at top left are the Fortune Cats that Anna drew (see earlier post for a close-up). It is another one of my favorites of hers. (Aren't they all my favorite since I'm her mother?). Top right is the only one that is not an original. It is a reproduction of a collage by Barbara Olsen. Bottom left is a monoprint by Barbara Marcus-McKenna (or is it McKenna-Marcus?). Bottom right is a print by Wynn Udall.



This last picture has a monotype on the left by Martha Klein and a mosaic collage on the right. I'm sorry I forgot the artist just now.

Now, when I have these all completed, I'll just to have to find where to hang them. I do already have some things on the wall. But I'm sure I will have plenty of room for these as well. As you can see, it is quite an assortment. I also have three more small pieces to get ready that are not in these pictures. I seem to be partial to limited edition prints and monotypes, as well as collages and, of course, art quilts (most of those don't necessarily need a frame).

No comments: