Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Collecting and Pay What You Want

I am a collector.  When I was a child, I collected mice (not real ones).  I think I started collecting postcards in college when I participated in summer school in Vienna, Austria and we traveled to different places on the weekend.  It might have started earlier than that, but the collection grew significantly during that summer.

I also have a collection of art books I keep as my "reference library."  We have shells and rocks around the house from different places and even a sand collection.

Anyone who has visited my house knows I have quite a collection of other artists' work.  Here is one of my latest acquired pieces, a print by John Smith of Chartwell Print.

John Smith
Canoes II
mezzotint
(photo posted with permission of artist)

The collection of my own artwork is growing and overflowing our storage spaces!  Thinking about this storage issue, I came up with an idea.  The idea is to sell some of my older works on a pay-what-you-want basis.

I tried this with a couple of artworks offered to my newsletter subscribers.  I had several offers and was happy for the artwork to have a new home.  I am planning to do this again, offering to my newsletter subscribers first.   If you would like a chance to pay-what-you-want for some of my artwork, I invite you to sign up for my newsletter.  


I will only make the offer public if none of my subscribers purchases the art.  This time both pieces sold before they could be made public.

Here's an explanation of how it works:

"In an effort to share my art with the world, instead of having it hidden away in a closet, I am offering select pieces for purchase for the price you want to pay. That's right, you get to pick what you want to pay to have an original fabric artwork to enjoy in your home or office (or maybe somewhere else)!

My newsletter subscribers receive first chance at the artwork. They will receive the link in my monthly newsletter. After 24 hours, if nobody offers a price, then I will make the link public to others. The page will then be up for another 24 hours. If this works well, I will do this once a month for the rest of the year.

If you see a piece you would like to buy, just send me an email. I am asking that you pay for the shipping costs, in addition to your price offer. I can calculate that amount after I have your address. For Idaho folks, I also have to charge sales tax on the price you offer (tax is 6%).

You will have 24 hours to email me. After the 24 hours is up, I will send an email to all who respond to let you know the results. If more than one person requests the same artwork, then the person with the higher price will receive the piece at that price.

It's a win-win. You get an original work of art at a price you can afford, and my art goes out into the world to be enjoyed (and I free up some storage space, too.)"

My next newsletter will go out at the beginning of February with a few more artworks available at the pay-what-you-want (PWYW) price.  Please sign up if you are interested in seeing the pieces and making an offer.


No comments: