Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 in Review

At the end of the year, I do a review of my art business.  I look to see if I met the goals I set out at the beginning of the year.  Throughout the year, I also do weekly and monthly reviews which help make the yearly review easier.

Every year for the past few years, I have set a goal to average 20 hours a week working in my studio. I have yet to hit that goal.  This past year I averaged around 14-15 hours and that is just for the time working on my art or developing ideas/sketching for future work.  I don't know know why I can't hit that 20 hour time, but here are some reasons I can come up with.

One is that the time I actually spend on the business side of art is not included in that.  In 2014, I spent more time on this. I averaged around 7-8 hours a week working on business, that is in addition to the studio time.

Also, I averaged about one "art date" a week.   What is an "art date"?  That is the general term I use for an event that I go to that is art related.  For example, it could be an art opening, a visit to a museum, getting together with other artists to experiment with different techniques, visiting galleries on First Thursday, etc.

Another activity that I spend some time on is exercise.  That's so that I can ensure I stay healthy so I can keep making art!

For the list of goals I set out for 2014, I achieved around half or more.  In my opinion, I think that is pretty good considering I had a two page list.  Of course, other opportunities came up throughout the year which weren't on the list.

I don't beat myself up if I don't check everything off the list.  It is just a motivator to help keep me going in a positive, forward direction toward what I would like my art career to look like.

My goals and focus for this year have been laid out.  And I am looking forward to what the year may bring.

What about you?  Do you set specific goals or intentions?  How do you achieve them? Do you have any tips or techniques you use to achieve your goals?  (If you have written a blog post about it, please leave a link in the comments.)

The sun sets on one year and rises on the next.


No comments: