Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Color Fields #3


Color Fields #3
hand dyed fabrics, machine pieced
machine quilted
34-3/4 x 29"
© 2011 Lisa Flowers Ross

I have been quietly working behind the scenes, here, on this series.  I just finished #6, but haven't quilted #4 yet because it is quite large.  Today I am presenting #3.  I think I mentioned that I was having some trouble with this one.  I had done all the quilting lines, but when I was finished, I was very unhappy with the quilting in the green area.  

I could have ripped all the stitches out, but since I wouldn't be going over the same lines again, I would have had lots of little holes (which can be taken care of by brushing some water over them and letting it dry naturally).  Instead of doing that, I decided to lop off the green section entirely and re-do it.  I have done this once before with a piece.

Fortunately, I had enough green to create a new section.  I cut the same curve first since I wanted to echo the line with the quilting.  I quilted as usual (which was much easier since I only had that piece).  I trimmed it and fit it right back in with the rest of the piece.  Then I zig-zag stitched the two pieces together.  

Since I had also removed the brown curve, I could now cut another one, turn both edges under, put fusible webbing on it, line it up on top of the stitching and fuse it to the top.  I also did the same on the back side.  The last step was to zig-zag stitch the edges of the brown curve with invisible thread.  It looks good and I am much happier with the green section. 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Thanks for sharing the back story about the green section. Seeing it in person, I would have never guessed it underwent such a process and now I know that I could use the same remedy if I need to.