Color Fields #3
hand dyed fabrics, machine pieced
34-3/4 x 29"
© 2011 Lisa Flowers Ross
I have been quietly working behind the scenes, here, on this series. I just finished #6, but haven't quilted #4 yet because it is quite large. Today I am presenting #3. I think I mentioned that I was having some trouble with this one. I had done all the quilting lines, but when I was finished, I was very unhappy with the quilting in the green area.
I could have ripped all the stitches out, but since I wouldn't be going over the same lines again, I would have had lots of little holes (which can be taken care of by brushing some water over them and letting it dry naturally). Instead of doing that, I decided to lop off the green section entirely and re-do it. I have done this once before with a piece.
Fortunately, I had enough green to create a new section. I cut the same curve first since I wanted to echo the line with the quilting. I quilted as usual (which was much easier since I only had that piece). I trimmed it and fit it right back in with the rest of the piece. Then I zig-zag stitched the two pieces together.
Since I had also removed the brown curve, I could now cut another one, turn both edges under, put fusible webbing on it, line it up on top of the stitching and fuse it to the top. I also did the same on the back side. The last step was to zig-zag stitch the edges of the brown curve with invisible thread. It looks good and I am much happier with the green section.