Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Missing

It looks like it is going to be one of those days.  This morning Anna woke up and when she turned on the light in her bedroom, she discovered that the hamster wheel to one of the cages broke and her two Robo hamsters were nowhere to be seen.

The hunt is on.  Anna still had to get ready and go to school.  I searched her room and a few other places.  We have a book that says to set up a bucket with some food in it and a ladder that goes up to the edge.  The hamsters are suppose to climb up the ladder and into the bucket. Then, they won't be able to get out.  I don't think that's going to work.  But I have a bucket set up and a foam core ramp leading up to it.

Robo hamsters are the smallest in the world.  Hamsters can squeeze into the smallest of spaces.  Even Anna's regular size hamster managed to squeeze under the piano one time.

After she left for school, I was going downstairs to get a flashlight and one of the little hamsters scurried across the floor.  It went under the couch and then squeezed under the t.v. center, which has about a half an inch clearance.  Laying on my stomach with my face smashed to the floor and trying to see in a half an inch gap, I saw and heard the hamster scratching.  I tried sliding a piece of mat board underneath to try to flush him out, but it did nothing.  After awhile, I figured he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.  I went to look for the other one.

I've searched all the rooms on my knees with a flashlight.  No sign of the other, yet.  If I was pretty sure the hamster wasn't in the room I closed the door and blocked the crack of the door with books or something.  So he either won't go in or maybe he's trapped inside.

Since hamsters are suppose to sleep during the day, it will be even harder to find them if they are not making noise.  I don't know what to do now.  I came back downstairs and am not sure if the one is still under the t.v. or not because there is no noise and I can only see him if he is near the front.  I was hoping to work on art today but it may be spent hunting hamsters instead.

(I was going to post a picture of the escapees, but I see blogger has changed the way to add images and I cannot get it to work right now.)

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

I know you're not laughing, but I am! I am imagining you trying to flush out the hamster from under the TV unit. Seems like leaving tasty morsels of food in strategic places might attract them, though the bucket trap does sound a little unlikely to work, but what do I know about hamsters? Good luck. I look forward to reading the rest of the story.

The new Blogger photo plan was an unpleasant surprise! Ugh. Why?