Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's a First

When you're thirteen, you have already had many of your firsts: first smile, first tooth, first step, first haircut, first day of school, etc.  The firsts may be slowing down some.  But Anna had another first on Friday night.  It was her first time at a "rock" concert.  When I mentioned that to her, she said, "Mom, I've been to many concerts."  Yes, but dance concerts, bluegrass concerts, musicals, orchestra concerts are not the same as a "rock" concert with its deafening, ear ringing music and large venue. (I think my first rock concert was in college.)

My sister and I took Anna to see Cavo, Lifehouse and Daughtry on Friday night.  I was mostly going for Lifehouse.  We were in about the farthest seats away from the stage but it really wasn't that far away in the Idaho Center (and I had brought the binoculars).  Before the show was over, I had earplugs in my ears.  Before we left, Anna was asking for one of the $35 concert t-shirts.  I really did not want to spend that much for a t-shirt.  But with those pretty eyes and sly grin she says, "Well Mom, it is my first concert." 

I'm sure she will be wearing the shirt to school tomorrow. With that first taken care of, I will be happy to wait quite awhile until the next first, . . . like first boyfriend!


No comments: