Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

Re-do

Last week I managed to go to the museum one day, teach Anna's class art one day and still make 3-4 new pieces. I'm really trying to focus. Can you tell?

This week I am working on getting the new pieces and a couple other pieces quilted. I was being overly optimistic that I could get them all done, but I have not. I have three quilted and I will be working on another one today. I have the edges finished on one and almost done on a second. Will get the third one's edges ready to hand sew today and hopefully finish quilting on one more.

Here is one of the pieces. This might look somewhat familiar. I re-did the piece I did in the workshop which I showed previously here. (It's the green and black one on the bottom). I cut it up and reworked it and here's how it came out.


I haven't decided which direction I like it best yet. Which do you like?


Here is the back view of the quilting. It is densely quilted, which I don't usually do, but thought I would try. The green thread is actually slightly variegated but you can't really tell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The horozontal orientation works for me!

Anonymous said...

What a nice little piece! It's unified yet quirky, organized yet spontaneous, simple, yet interesting. It's interesting to see how the shapes change when 2 shapes of the same color are placed together. In this piece you have one place where 2 greens are joined, forming an L. Perhaps repeating that effect somewhere else would be nice.
Without a background to inform the viewer, it's hard to guess what size this little beauty is. I'm assuming it's about 2 feet squarish?

The close quilting is an interesting effect. I quilted a lap quilt closely and it felt more like a packing pad than a comfy quilt. For this reason, the close quilting, to me, is better for wall pieces, which I assume this one is.

Oh, and my vote is horizontal!

Beverly said...

I also like the horizontal, it brings city blocks of buildings to my mind. I think the dense quilting sets the piece off beautifully.
I've enjoyed reading your posts about the Nancy Crow workshop- seems like it was well worth the time and energy.