This year I only had about about 10 yards of white fabric to start with. I did not purchase more. Instead, I pulled out some of the fabrics I know have been sitting on my shelf for some time to over-dye.
Here are some of those old fabrics.
Why did I pull these? There were several reasons. I pulled out fabrics that I thought were very similar to another color I already had. When I started dyeing my own fabric, I created a much more mottled look. Now, I like to work with more solid color. So, I pulled out some of the very mottled ones. Those would need to be over-dyed with a much darker color. I also pulled colors that I didn't think I would use or didn't appeal to me. Some colors were just too bright and I wanted to tone them down a bit. You don't always know exactly what color you get until the end when the fabric is rinsed and dried. Sometimes I make something I don't like.
Work in progress.
And here are the colors I ended up with. I think, overall, I am happier with the new colors.
They will get integrated back unto the shelves and, hopefully, get used! I also had some muslin scraps that I had brought home from the museum left over from covering pedestal tops. Here is how they turned out, along with a few more over-dyes.
Most of these are smaller pieces and some have holes in them or marks that I will need to work around. But I am happy to be able to get some use out of the fabric that otherwise would have ended up in the trash can.