Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Color Forms #1

First I want to thank you for all the comments on Indian Summer. After finishing that piece, I was ready for something smaller that I could finish quickly. I enjoy reading Melody Johnson's blog and really like her work (I own one piece.) I thought I would try her fusing technique.

I began buy fusing some strips together then cut it lengthwise. That strip was my starting point and I started adding other shapes until I came up with the piece below called Color Forms #1. Fortunately (since I don't want to copy), it doesn't look like Melody's pieces. I did it a bit differently by using one piece of fabric for the background and working on that.



For the hand stitching, I used some thread that I had dyed when I did my first batch of fabrics. It is a matte finish, so not as smooth as DMC perle cotton. But it was nice to have the matching color.

The piece looks a bit Calder-esque to me. It also reminds me of the Colorform sets that children play with (original seen below). I don't think we had the Colorform set when I was little, but we did have a magnetic set with colored shapes which was basically the same thing.


I had such fun playing with the fused pieces of fabric, I ended up making five pieces. I managed to do the quilting, hand stitching and binding on this first one today.

No comments: