Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

What did I do today? We drove to school. What? I know, I know. Anna was somewhat disgusted we were driving. I told her I was going to a new class at the Y and I didn't want to be the new person coming in late. She said I could have rode my bike (after I walked her to school, which is what I do to go to the museum). I said I would do it next time.

I told her I was not too worried about it because we walk to school most of the year, whereas a few people will be walking today only because it is earth day. Why not do it every day? Maybe what we need is Earth Year.

What else did I do today? I made this little piece. It is about 5-1/2" square. I used the leaf stamp I carved the other day and printed it on different scraps of fabric. Everything for this piece was either found, reused or something I already had on hand.


This is actually the second piece I did. The first piece you cannot see as I sent it off for the Go Green challenge for Quilting Arts magazine. Maybe if I'm lucky, you will see it in a magazine. I hope to do a whole series of these. The background is tissue from a clothes pattern (I used for Anna once). I stamped and did some rubbing on it. I fused one layer to a piece of one of Frank's old shirts (that he was going to donate). Then I laid down some dried leaves and fused another layer of tissue on top of that. The fabric leaves are appliqued on and then hand stitched in the middle. The green circles are old yarn buttons which I have no idea where I got them. The other weird green thing is half of a frog(?) clasp. I'm hoping to sew some twigs on as the border but I have to coat them with something first.

No comments: