Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Stitch & Post Workshop

I taught my Stitch & Post workshop this past weekend which was in conjunction with the Treasure Valley Artists' Alliance Fiber February.  The sign-ups were through their site, but you didn't have to be a TVAA member to take the class (but TVAA members got a discount).

The workshop was full with eight students.  I think this is the first time I have taught adults.  In the past, I have worked with children.

The workshop was at my house and I think it worked out well.  I was able to do a slideshow on our television screen and if we needed something extra, I had all the materials right there in my studio.  I was also able to show them examples of my own artwork where I had used hand stitching.

The focus of the workshop was on hand stitching.  I showed them some simple hand stitches and many examples of the different ways to use those hand stitches to accent artwork on fabric, paper or canvas.  The students practiced different stitches and then made either a fabric postcard or small square artwork using fused fabrics and accented it with their hand stitching.

For this first time, I learned that we could have used a little more time (I had scheduled three hours for the workshop).  Several people did complete their works.  Most were almost done and they took the stuff home to finish up.

We were set up in our downstairs living room.  I set up a couple extra tables and brought in my ironing board.  Here you can see our new windows!





























And here are some of the students working.


Some of the works in progress.  I had fabrics already pre-fused for the participants.  I enjoyed seeing what fabrics and colors people chose and their little compositions.



I didn't get a chance to get a picture of everybody's.  It seemed as though everyone enjoyed the workshop, but could have used a little more time.  I hope to teach this again and now I can refine it a little more.

No comments: