Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Artist-in-Residence

I officially move out of the BOSCO Artist-in-Residence space on Friday.  Tomorrow is First Thursday and I will be in the space in the evening from 5-8 p.m.  I will have completed works that I created in the space and a few that are still works in progress.

I brought in a couple of my bigger pieces that were already finished and a small framed piece so that people could get an idea of what I "normally" do.  Since I didn't bring my sewing machine to the space, I composed small works with fused fabrics and brought them home to finish the sewing.  Normally, I am piecing the fabric with a machine.

In this picture you can see some of the small pieces I was working on.






















I have most of these finished now.  The four on the left I mounted on canvas stretcher bars to see how I liked finishing them that way.


The dark edge is fabric that is sewn to the piece, then wrapped around the bars.  I then hand stitched the corners to make a nice finish.  I'm not sure how I feel about it this way.  I think it looks nice and gives it a little more depth.  What do you think?

In my next post, I will write about my thoughts on my experience in the space.

No comments: