Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Views from Virginia

Living in the high desert, I'm always impressed when we go somewhere that has lots of greenery and more rain than we do (O.k. I admit I'm pretty much impressed with plant life anywhere).  On our trip back to Virginia, the greenery was lush, as they just had lots of rain.  The woods were everywhere.


As we were walking in the woods looking for fairy stones in Fairy Stone State park, I saw this white thing on a log that I thought looked like a plastic bottle cap.  Upon looking closer, I was happy to see that it was not trash, but a blossom.  I love the shape of it.


My mother-in-law recognized it as a blossom of the mountain laurel.  Here are some more I found later in our trip.


In the woods searching for fairy stones, which are really staurolite crystals with cool shapes, there was lots of green that complimented the very red soil in the area.



We did manage to find a few nice fairy stones, but not as nice as the drawings on the sign.

No comments: