Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

This past week I have been working at the Boise Art Museum helping to install an exhibition.  The exhibit is Nick Cave: Meet Me at the Center of the Earth.  It is a more labor-intensive installation than the usual.

We are installing the artist's "sound suits", "hair suits", some large sculptural figures and two tondos.  Here is a link to a video that explains a little bit about these costumes.

Lots of mannequins and armatures are involved in displaying the pieces.  It takes about 5 people to get one suit installed.  This exhibit takes up more than half the museum.  It's been a very interested installation.

Lest you think it is a glamorous job, I spent time crawling around on my knees, lifting heavy items, working in my socks (for standing on platforms), standing up all day on a concrete floor base and grooming hair suits for a pittance pay.  And I love it.

I can't show you any of the pictures of actual pieces  because of copyright issues.  But I can show you that a fork lift was involved. And we had extra people helping us.



If you are a local, this is a show not to be missed, just because there is really nothing else like it.

No comments: