Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Designer Wall or Design Wall?

Maybe neither. This is phase one of the redo for my sewing/guest bedroom. I painted the walls and trim and then wanted to have an entire wall of fabric covered boards. This is it. It was our first time doing something like this.

I knew I wanted Homasote - a 100% recycled board and had to call around to find who could get it for me. Pretty expensive stuff, but oh well. I had already bought the fabric which is just plain flannel. I chose the paint colors to match the fabric. Then we had to cut the 4' x 8' boards down to the eight rectangles. I covered the boards by stapling the fabric to the back. I had to cut small holes for the outlets. Then we screwed them to the wall with anchors and screws or straight into a stud.
These are the washers I used so the screw would not press into the board. I got big ones as part of the design element. The boards are soft enough to poke pins into and most of my fabrics will probably just stick to the flannel.

Phase two won't be for quite a while.

No comments: