Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Abstract Chair Study #3

Here is my third attempt at the chair. This time I went back to my original intent to try to make the chair a little more abstract to blend in more with the blocks. Here's what I did differently:

1) I started with a "nine patch" grid pattern (like tic tac toe for those that aren't quilters).
2) I moved the chair a little off center.
3) I used the jean stitch thread on all the lines. I do not have any quilting except the black line.
4) The overall rectangle is wider. The edges are square and I have not finished them yet. I am thinking I will stitch around the edge with the jean stitch thread like I did the rest of the lines and just leave it like that. Any other suggestions welcome.
5) I echoed shapes from the chair in other blocks.
6) I reversed the original blue background/green chair to green background/blue chair.


I am happier with this one as it achieves my original intent better. If you turned it upside down, you might not know it was a chair. Do you think it needs anything else?

4 comments:

Rayna said...

You've done it! I've watched the progression and no, it doesn't need anything else. It's there.
Hard work, isnt' it?

Anonymous said...

I think this piece is just right as it is. The black quilting lines, limited color palette, and echoed shaped from the chair all contribute to the success of this work. Very nice job!
Carolyn

Tina Marie Rey said...

You hit the mark with this! Bravo - your balance, your contrast, i would say you got it right! Love iT!

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Ditto! And not only did you make the chair recede into and become part of the blocks, but you also have "chair parts" as well... in the last photo, the seat and legs in the upper right, and a chair "on its side" in the lower right....

It's a "which way does it go" quilt.... and that's good! It means (for me anyway) that you've got good balance and rhythm going!
Cheers, Sarah